Health and Human Services
Which pathways are offered?
- Education and Training—This pathway prepares students to employ teaching/training methods that will result in higher learner achievement and to communicate, inspire trust and confidence, motivate learners, and understand their educational needs.
- Medical Assisting—Students develop the knowledge base, skills, and behaviors that entry-level medical assistants need to succeed. Students are introduced to anatomy and physiology, diagnostic tests, diseases and disorders, treatments, and nutrition.
- Education and Training-Early Childhood Education— This pathway prepares students for careers early childhood that includes knowledge of childhood development, teaching strategies and the ability to communicate, inspire trust and confidence to motivate learners. Student will also learn the teaching basics to recognize and respond to individual differences in diverse learners and employ different teaching/training methods that will result in higher learner achievement..
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Admitting Clerk
- High School Teacher
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Records Technician
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Medical Transcriptionist
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample salaries include:
- High School Teacher—$61,660/year
- Medical Assistant—$34,800/year
- Medical Records Technician—$40,350/year
- Medical and Health Services Managers—$100,980/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 10, 2020.
Which industry-recognized, in-demand certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- ACT National Career Readiness Certification (NCRC)
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Medical Assisting Exam
- American Medical Certification Association (AMCA) Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMAC)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- NOCTI Early Childhood Education and Care—Basic