Which pathways are offered?
- Game Design and Programming—This pathway prepares students to create design specifications and integrate art and sound, translating it all into a playable game. This requires knowledge of computer operating systems, programming and markup languages (JAVA, Python, C++, HTML5/CSS), and software development.
- Networking and Security—This pathway prepares students to design, maintain, install, analyze, and manage network systems. Successful establishment and maintenance of IT infrastructure and security are critical for all businesses/organizations.
- Web and Digital Communication—This pathway prepares students to create, design, and produce interactive multimedia products and services, including development of digitally generated or computer-enhanced media, used in business, training, entertainment, communications, and marketing.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Software Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
- Computer Technician
- Systems Support Specialist
- Network Administrator
- 3D Animator
- Graphic Designer
- Multimedia Producer
- Web Designer
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample salaries include:
- Software Developer—$105,590/year
- Computer Programmer—$86,550/year
- Computer and Information Systems Manager—$146,360/year
- 3D Animator—$75,270/year
- Graphic Designer—$52,110/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 10, 2020.
Which industry-recognized, in-demand certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- ACT National Career Readiness Certification (NCRC)
- Certiport Game Design Certification
- Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) Certification—Web Authoring Using Adobe Dreamweaver
- ACA—Graphic Design and Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Computer Networking Fundamentals Exam